No products in the cart.
Product can be shipped as of 15.03.2021Order now!
The N 254/1200 telescope:
This telescope provides the amateur astronomer with an enormous aperture for detailed deep sky observing. It is one of the largest Newtonian telescopes available from Skywatcher and collects almost three times as much light as a 114mm telescope. This means not only bright, high-contrast planetary observing is possible but that the telescope is also ideal for deep sky observing. While most smaller telescopes only show the cores of many galaxies, this telescope can also clearly show their spiral structure. Globular clusters also appear as incredible objects in this giant, with many of them showing a wealth of individually resolved stars over the entire field of view.
The telescope has a parabolic, diffraction-limited primary mirror which is centre-marked for assisting in precise collimation of the optics. The thin secondary mirror supports and 58mm diameter secondary mirror make for excellent high contrast. The high resolution allows an immense amount of detail to be observed on planets in moments of excellent seeing. Although the telescope is one of the largest which can be used on a parallactic mount, it remains portable at only 14kg. The solid 2″ Crayford focuser provides sufficient support for even very heavy eyepieces and cameras. The fine focusing capability makes it simple to find the optimal point of focus. The telescope is predestined for astrophotography with an aperture ratio of only f4.7, allowing this very powerful telescope to be used to take short exposures with a large field of view. Crisp photos right up to the edge of the image can be taken when using an optional coma corrector.
The advantages in a nutshell:
- enormous light gathering power thanks to the 254mm aperture
- high-contrast images due to thin secondary mirror supports and small diameter secondary mirror
- excellent for astrophotography due to very powerful optics
- diffraction-limited parabolic primary mirror
The PDS version of the Explorer comes with a dual speed focuser. This has a 1:10 reduction ratio for sensitive focusing which is most important for astrophotography, but is also very useful for visual observing. The tube length has been slightly shortened compared to the Explorer P version and the secondary mirror has consequently been enlarged in order to further optimize the system for astrophotography.
The EQ-6 Pro SynScan GoTo mount:
This is the largest and most capable mount made by Sky-Watcher. It has been specially developed to be able to support heavy telescope OTAs of up to 18Kg, stably and vibration-free. This is the optimal requirement for successful astrophotography, which depends on very precise movement of the mount when tracking. It comes in a white design, and already has GoTo control built-in. Virtually no other mount offers better value for money than the EQ-6, making it highly popular among amateur astronomers. Even at the high GoTo speed, the powerful stepper motors on the right ascension and declination axes slew the telescope very quietly, so that your neighbours’ sleep will not be disturbed in any way. Quick and effortless alignment with the North Pole for astrophotography is by means of a backlit polar finder.
Mount and control features:
- GoTo control with clearly laid-out hand box (operable even wearing gloves)
- red line display (dimmable) and red backlit buttons
- 1, 2 or 3 star alignment available
- about 13,700 pre-programmed astronomical objects available
- 25 user objects can be set and setting coordinates directly is possible
- speed 3.4° / second
- tracking modes: sidereal, lunar, solar and sidereal with PEC
- recalibration of the object possible
- update-capable from the Internet
- control via PC possible (RS232)
- autoguiding via interface
- periodic error correction (for astrophotography)
- polar finder can be illuminated and is adjustable via scales or constellation illustration
- GPS function via optional add-on possible
- consumption and temperature display
- Version 3
- can carry up to 18Kg (for visual observing, even more)
- Included with the mount:
- EQ-6 Pro SynScan mount with GoTo control
- sturdy steel tripod (height adjustment from 85cm to 147cm)
- extra brace with eyepiece tray
It is not only important which telescope you buy, but also where you buy it.
We provide extra help:
- We are a leading telescope dealer and know these instruments like the back of our hands.
- We are always very happy to offer our assistance after your purchase, should you encounter any problems with your telescope’s setup or operation.
- Our ‘Telescope Basics’ booklet – an 80-page beginner’s guide for our telescopes – is provided free of charge with every telescope we sell.
Our expert comment:
We recommend that you use an additional counterweight, since the two counterweights supplied for this heavy instrument are not always entirely adequate. You can find a suitable counterweights under ‘Recommended Accessories’ (Article Number 15005).